We recently came across an amended reprint of some hymns and sermons of St. Ephrem the Syrian published by St. Anthony’s Monastery in Florence, Arizona. Entitled Eschatological Hymns and Homilies, it contains seven texts (or groups of texts) on the end times, a theme that is very prominent in the Greek corpus as well the Syrian. This collection led us, in turn, to the work by M.F. Toal, Sunday Sermons of the Great Fathers, 4 vols. (London, 1955-1963), which contains translations from the Greek writings attributed to St. Ephrem, translated mainly from Vossius (1616 ed.). Toal’s work, a systematic collation of patristic and medieval sermons, is worth obtaining for its own sake. But the fact that it contains otherwise untranslated sermons of Ephraem Graecus makes the collection especially valuable. In addition to the two works reproduced in the Eschatological Hymns, it contains five other works of the Greek Ephrem.
Since the volume from St. Anthony’s does not contain references to the original works that it reproduces, we list here the cross-references that we were able to find to the original translations (with translations from the Greek marked by an asterisk). Below this is a list of the works translated in Toal. We will also add the citations of Toal, and other relevant bibliographical information, to the list of available translations here on this site.
Eschatological Hymns and Homilies on Repentance, the Antichrist, the End of the World, the Lord’s Second Coming, the Resurrection, and the Last Judgement (Florence, AZ: St. Anthony’s Greek Orthodox Monastery, 2019).
*1. On Repentance, pp. 3-24: this translation of the Compunctive Discourse (CPG 3908) is readily found on the internet without attribution; it possibly derives from A Spiritual Psalter (SJKP, 2004).
2. Thirty metrical hymns on death, the life thereafter, and the Resurrection, pp. 25-88 =Henry Burgess, Select Metrical Hymns and Homilies of Ephraem Syrus (London, 1853), 1-93.
On the Death of Children: Their Blessedness
On the Death of Children: The Sorrow it Produces, The Sources of Consolation
On the Death of Youth
On the Death of a Spiritual Son
On the Death of Persons in All Walks of Life
On Death and the Resurrection
On the Death of a Servant of God
On the Death of a Bishop
On the Death of a Priestmonk
A Prayer in the Prospect of Death
On the Death of a Private Person
The Parting of Body and Soul
On the Death of a King and a Beggar
Christ the Companion of the Disembodied Soul
On the Death of a Monk
On the Death of a Woman
On the Death of an Aged Man
On the Death of a Priest
Necessity for Preparation for Death
On the Death of a Priest
For a Time of Plague
A Prayer in the Prospect of Judgement
Hymn on the Resurrection
A Morning Hymn
Hymn for Pascha
Hymn for the Lord’s Day
A Hymn of the Whole Church
For the Whole Church at the Resurrection
In Praise of God and His Most Pure Mother
Description of Paradise: The Revelations of God adapted to Man’s Nous
*3. On Various Places of Torment and on the Judgement, pp. 89-106 =M.F. Toal, The Sunday Sermons of the Church Fathers, vol. 3 (London, 1960), pp. 302-311 [CPG 3944, 3969].
*4. On the Second Coming and the Last Judgement, pp. 107-115 =M.F. Toal, The Sunday Sermons of the Church Fathers, vol. 1 (London, 1960), pp. 10-14 [CPG 4693].
*5. On the Antichrist, pp. 117-129: this translation of the ‘Sermon on the Coming of the Lord, and on the Consummation of the Age, and on the Coming of Antichrist’ (CPG 3946) appeared, verbatim, in an issue of Orthodox Life 3 (1970): 20-27, but I am unaware at the moment of its provenance, or if this reprint derives directly from that issue).
6. On the Antichrist and the Consummation, pp. 131-142 =M.F. Toal, The Sunday Sermons of the Church Fathers, vol. 4 (London, 1960), pp. 352-358.
7. Prayer for the Future Life, pp. 143-152 =M.F. Toal, The Sunday Sermons of the Church Fathers, vol. 4 (London, 1960), pp. 347-352.
M.F. Toal, Sunday Sermons of the Great Fathers, 4 vols. (London, 1955-1963).
- Vol. 1:10-14, On Patience, the Second Coming, and the Last Judgement (CPG 4693); reprinted in Eschatological Hymns and Homilies, 107-115.
- Vol. 2:44-51, On the Transfiguration of Our Lord and God and Saviour Jesus Christ (CPG 3939)
- Vol. 3:121-23, The Mystery of the Eucharist (excerpted from the sermon On Those Who Scrutinize the Nature of the Son of God) (CPG 4054)
- Vol. 3:233-37, Charity and Forgiveness (CPG 3980)
- 302-11, On the Various Places of Torment and on the Judgement (excerpted from the Sermon on the Second Coming of our Lord Jesus Christ (CPG 3944) or, alternatively, Questions and Responses (CPG 3969); reprinted in Eschatological Hymns and Homilies, 89-106.
- Vol. 4:10-18, On the Evil of the Tongue and Similar Vices (CPG 3950)
- Vol. 4:406-7, Prayer for the Judgement (CPG 4088 latine)